Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Dirty Birds

So the Mike Vick saga appears to be over. I can't help but think about how right I was. I told all my buddies 3 years ago that Vick would never be the quarterback people wanted him to be. I genuinely believed that he would not succeed in Atlanta. However, I thought it would be his performance on the field. I have learned a few things over the last few weeks with this.

1. There are 2 things that people hate more than anything. Cruelty to children and cruelty to animals.

2. Know who has your loyalty. I'm not talking about the guy who picks you up so you don't have to sit at the goodyear place while they fix your car. I mean the guy who will do anything for you. My cousin told me when I was in college that if I ever needed somebody to lie for me in court he would do it. I think Mike could have used a few of those guys. I'm not saying he needed guys to lie for him in prison (although he did). I'm just simply saying know that the company you keep is loyal to you. And if they make bad decisions. Screw 'em. In business, for pleasure. Your last name is all you have when you come in and its what they remember you by when you head out. So take care of it.

3. I heard Steve Harvey say in an interview a few months back about how he handled success and the decisions that he had to make. He said something that I will never forget. It wasn't deep and thought provoking. It simply was, " Not everybody that came with you can go with you." It's true. I have a few friends who have found success in the public eye and I don't think they are any different today than they were years ago. However, things change and you lose touch. I think Vick could have used the advice.

The Falcons have the over under at 7.5 wins. Thats only 1 game lower than when Vick was projected to be the starter. I realize that Vegas thinks we're at best a .500 football team. But if you're a .600 football team you make the playoffs. I'm not sold on the poor quality of this team. Harrington has never been given a decent opportunity to succeed. Crumpler is still the best target somebody could ask for. If the line holds up and we can stay healthy. I don't see why we can't win 9 games. And stranger things have happened. The New Orleans Saints did play for a chance to go to the Super Bowl this last year. If they can do it ANYBODY Can ( Except the Titans, because Nashville shouldn't have pro sports teams. And they can all kiss my ass).

I don't pitty the guy at all. You gain what you will and you get what you deserve. I don't think Vick is an especially bad guy. So what if the guy likes to roll a joint, hook up with chicks, and gamble every once in a while. I went to college. I did it too. However, I knew better than to carry it through airport security. Do it with some nasty slut. Or bet on the health or well being of an animal. And I guess that is why I am not going to prison and Ron Mexico is.

1 comment:

Kevin Godleski said...

"I don't know why everybody's coming down so hard on Ron Mexico... I mean they're his dogs right. Shouldn't he be able to do what wants with them?"

I heard Ben say this the other night and I just about lost it. You could see steam coming out of the ears of the girl he was talking to, it was priceless!! She went on to argue by sayging

"What if it was YOUR dog, would you want someone doing those things to it?"

In true form Ben shot back with

"Well first off my dog is a 13 year old lab so that just wouldn't make any sense, I mean he's not gonna win me any money so whats the point?"

Needles to say she promptly left the room.

Now Ben can come off as quite the prick sometimes but if you get to him you know he's one of the most loyal and genuine guys out there and believe it or not most the bullshit he speaks is actually truth

The girl obviously didn't appreaciate the smart ass that is Ben. I on the other hand love it about him because if you know me, you know I can relate. I'm proud to say that Ben is actually a bigger smart ass than I am and I can only hope learn from his mastery. After all if he didn't say, I probobly would have.