Monday, August 4, 2008

Skip Caray

We lost a good one yesterday. I have lived most of my days in the south. My mom and dad loved the Braves and talked about the days when they got married. They still tell all the stories of how bad the team was and how cynical and honest Skip really was.

I remember going to my first game at Fulton County Stadium and listening to him call the game. I remember making tomahawks out of shoebox cardboard with Daniel watching those early playoff runs. I remember when Otis made the catch, when Sid slid, and when Grissom made the final out in the '95 World Series. Skip was there for all of them.

In middle school I had a little walkman that only had AM radio. It was enough for me. My bed time stories were told night after night by an older man who might have been the only fan bigger than me. Year after year about all those great teams that were mine. In 10th grade I went to game 6 of the NLCS and caught a baseball out there in right field where my season tickets are today and how proud I was of that. That game cost me everything I had. I think it was $50.

In college I spent more time with Skip than ever. I'd drive back and forth to see my girlfriend in Athens. I'd get there most Friday's after the game would be over. And again I'd leave every Sunday at 1:05 to catch him bringing me the first pitch knowing that if I drove the speed limit I'd catch 3 hours of the game going back to Birmingham.

On weekends in the summer I remember listening to the games we could get at the pool and everyone always wanted me to play music. I'd tell the patrons if they wanted music they could bring their own radio. I wasn't popular for that but my boss who was a huge Phillies fan always respected it. I remember listening to those games with Talia Judge by the pool in Vestavia Hills. The pool was open until 9:00 or until the final out was recorded. I never minded being being bored at the pool as long as you were on. Adult swim was never ever on the hour. It just happened to be whenever the inning ended. Even to this day. I don't pay for gas and I drive every night and listen to the Braves for about an hour.

I always enjoyed knowing where the fan was from who caught the foul ball. I always enjoyed knowing the only person on the Braves with more doubles than McCann was Skip. No hits, runs, no errors, 2 left. Braves are just getting massacred 14-1. Totals and highlights after this.

I can't imagine the game tonight without Skip. It'll be hard but I'll be there with Pete and Joe just like always. Few people can understand the bond. But you were there every night. You'd talk and we would listen. I have really only known a handful of people longer than you Skip. Words can't express how much I personally will miss you. Your calls made the soundtrack to some of the biggest highlights of my life. You brought to life a lot of the Braves worst days and some of my best. You're responsible for a lot of the love I have for my favorite team.

From the bottom of my heart... thank you Skip. You will be missed beyond words. We enjoyed you in our cars, apartments, swimming pools, and in our home.

You were family. It won't be the same without you.

B

No comments: